CodeVA is deeply committed to creating a safe and secure learning environment for our students and teachers. We collect data from students and teachers to better serve our mission of providing computer science education for every student in Virginia. We take the protection of this data seriously.
Types of Information Collected
CodeVA collects user information to support our mission to bring computer science education to all of Virginia’s students. As part of this goal, we receive and store user information about you such as:
- Personal Information. Personal Information is collected about you if you register for CodeVA professional development or create an account with CodeVA Connect. All users that register or create an account are required to provide part or all of the following information:
- First and last name;
- Communication information including email address and messaging history;
- Employment information including school and school division, job title(s), teaching content area(s), and grade-level(s) taught;
- Training and program information such as a history of the CodeVA enrollment and completion of activities including training assignments, discussion posts, and other user generated content; and
- Other optional demographic information.
All personal information is accessible by other users who have registered an account and created a password with CodeVA Connect. User information is not public by default. As other users may access your personal information according to your privacy setting preferences, you should not share any information on our Site that you would not wish to be publicly available. Please confirm that your privacy settings reflect your preferences. You disclose such information at your own risk. You should also be aware that email and messaging communications are not necessarily secure against interception.
- Non-personal information. Like most websites, we use automatic data collection technology that identifies your computer, tracks your use of the Site, and collects basic information about you and your browsing habits. This information includes:
- Your log information including your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, geolocation information based upon that IP address, and time zone;
- Your website navigation data including behaviors and preferences in browsing our website, using our services, and interacting with other users; and
- User behavior relating to demographics, interests, and behaviors.
We may store this information and include it in databases that we own and operate or that are maintained by us.
How We Use Your Information: In accordance with our mission to scale computer science education across Virginia, we may share your information in the following ways:
- Personal Information: We do not sell your Personal Information or exploit it for financial gain. We will not transfer or disclose your personal information to any third party unless:
- We change website hosts or our host transfers business assets (further detailed below);
- We first obtain permission from you;
- We need to share it with agents, partners, or contractors who perform services for us;
- You contact us to inquire about a CodeVA product and we need to forward limited information about you to our publisher and/or distributor to enable them to respond to your inquiry; or
- We are required by law to disclose it.
We may also share your Personal Information in an aggregate, de-identified manner for lawful and legitimate business or educational research purposes. In these instances, your personal information will only be included in a manner that restricts the ability to distinguish or trace your identity. In these instances, this aggregate, de-identified personal information will follow the policy outlined below for “Non-Personal Information.”
- Non-Personal Information: We do not sell your Non-Personal Information or exploit it for financial gain. We will not transfer or disclose your non-personal information to any third party unless:
- We complete internal research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior to better understand and serve users of this site;
- We engage an independent third party to conduct an evaluation of our work or assist in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, promotions, and/or functionality on the Site.
Any time we share Non-Personal Information with our affiliates, or with our other business partners, we will do so only in an aggregate, de-identified manner for lawful and legitimate business or educational research purposes. We require any business and research partners that receive de-identified data from us to agree in advance that they will not attempt to use this data to identify our users.
Transfer of Business Assets As our website host develops business, it may be acquired, merge with another business, or acquire or buy other businesses or assets. In such transactions, both Personal Information and Non-Personal Information will likely be one of the transferred assets.
Cookies We may use “cookies” to determine whether you have visited our site previously and to save and remember any preferences that you set while using our site. Cookies also allow us to measure activity on our site and to improve your user experience, for example by remembering your passwords and viewing preferences, thus allowing you to visit any member-only parts of the site without re-registering. Our cookies cannot retrieve any other data from a hard drive or obtain an email address. Although a user has the ability to modify most browsers to either accept all cookies, notify the user when a cookie is sent, or reject all cookies, it may not be possible to utilize certain services if cookies are rejected.
Security We will take commercially reasonable steps to ensure the safety of your Personal Information. This site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. However, we do not assume any liability for third-party usage of your Personal Information or Non-Personal Information, whether obtained legally or illegally from our system.
Children CodeVA and the Site do not seek to collect any information from children under the age of 13. If any child under the age of 13 provides us with Personal Information, the parents or legal guardians of such child can review any Personal Information collected about their child, have this information deleted, request that there be no further collection or use of their child’s Personal Information, and/or allow for our collection and use of their child’s Personal Information while withholding consent for us to disclose it to third parties.
Correct/Update This site gives users the opportunity to change and modify previously provided information by sending us an email to [email protected].
Disclaimers This policy applies to all CodeVA project websites, except in circumstances in which individual CodeVA projects choose to post modified versions of this policy on their project websites.
Important Notice to Users Outside the U.S. The Site is operated in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By providing us with any information through the Site, you consent to this transfer.
Contacting the Website If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this website, you can send a message to [email protected].
Effective Date: March 8, 2021
Copyright © 2021 by CodeVA